Friday, January 14, 2011

Facebook is down


January 14th, 2011. This is the day that Facebook refuses to open as quickly as all the other sites are opening. Boo hoo. Yes? It's funny though coz for many it is quite the distraction from whatever it is we are doing, or rather, supposed to be doing.

I decided to log on and see what's been put out there coz clearly many people are not able to let the world know that they are 'feeling down', or 'really enjoyed their last dinner', and I really pity the person who wants to 'check in' through Facebook Places at some hip cool joint and cannot tell the world about it! Life sucks doesn't it? For you, me, and for Facebook, which is probably losing out on tons of ad revenue for all this down time.

It's funny, but terribly interesting to see how much FB impacts our life. And (not) surprisingly how much 'JOY' rests with time spent with Facebook. I found some messages online where people are reacting to the situation.

  • I've been trying for over an hour to get on facebook. Grrr.. :( no joy. If you get anymore info would be glad to receive it.

  • IVE BEEN TRYING SINCE 7.30AM TO TRY TO GET ON ITS NOW 9.35 NEARLY STILL NO JOY

  • "I've been sitting on this toilet having a **** for 45 minutes now, and still no Facebook activity."

  • Is it really the end of the world - just wanted to upload some Christmas holiday photographs but another day will do. I think I will telephone a few friends and maybe even start a new book!!!

  • Been trying since 3am. Wanted to post late night knitting project(s), I guess I'll just go to sleep... Hope it comes back soon!

  • Hope it gets sorted soon, my crops are going to wither, my pet will end up in pound and I'm on a deadline for frontier missions. HELP! If it doesnt come back on soon it means I'll have to do some housework.

Life does go on. And for some, a productive and perhaps more touchy-feely life. One person has decided to actually 'call his friends', and another has decided to start writing a book! That does say a lot. Facebook, what have you done to the human race??


Today I'm humming Englishman in New York by Sting. Quite love this song, the version and STING!

4 comments:

  1. I did see that facebook was slower than normal but was able to get through. *wipes sweat off forehead* But because of its slowness, I decided to, *GASP* exercise. Although I use it for my line of work and self-promotion, I do love using it for personal uses more so. It definitely has placed a strange hold on us like nothing ever did before. There was a rumor that facebook was going to shut down. People were panicking on Twitter - the buzz was so much it nearly consumed the keyword search for "facebook". Amazing, huh? What did we do back in 1988? Ha! Gotta love it. I think I'll call my mom now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.....never had the experience of facebook failing on me!!!..........But yeah I'd be irked a tad if it did!!.......Its my only solace during the lonely hours whenever I have night shifts!!!
    Can feel ur pain!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all need to make one day a week a non-social site day. No Facebook, no Twitter. Nada. Even, gasp, turn off the cell phone, so no texts. It's good for the soul.

    But we (collectively) won't. The only thing that will slow Facebook activity down for any length of time is another social site, and that's probably still a couple of years away.

    Cheers,

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey: I agree! Sometimes I try to do that for myself coz honestly its often a compulsion rather than a real interest. So, a break is def. a fab idea.

    ReplyDelete